SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013

Jabberwock is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Sometimes I get lucky. I have said that evidently a big solo racer like an Open 60 would be much safer than a Mini class racer and that anyone that know something about these boats, particularly the ones that sail them, would have any doubt about that and just by accident a very experienced solo sailor had said just that yesterday.

The big Jaques Fabre Transat has been postponed a day (50k winds) and at a certain point on this video about that (min 1.08) a very experienced professional solo sailor, talking about facing bad weather is saying precisely that, talking not about mini class racers but about much bigger 40class racers versus 60class racers and 50ft multihulls versus 70ft multihulls.

On a more textual translation and than the one offered on the video he is sayng:

"They are all blue water racing boats with very experienced crews even if some are amateurs. Evidently the bigger the boat the safer we can consider we will be"

BRE - Briefing tempo - Transat Jacques Vabre 2013 por TransatJacquesVabre

as I have said, that is evident.

Regards

Paulo
Fist off your translation is somewhat different from the one given. I'll assume for the sake of argument yours is more correct.

I find the position that one person's opinion however experienced he is, should negate the need for real statistical data somewhat dubious. That's not to say he is wrong. I am merely pointing out that intuition and anecdotal evidence has often been proven to be incorrect. I don't want to beat a dead horse here and I'm not trying to convince you of anything. All I'm saying is I trust the scientific method much more than "Jack the sailing god on you-tube said it, so now we must take it as fact."

I have no vested interest in proving small boats are safer and in fact I'm not trying to do so. However, I am still wondering if in SOME situations that may be the case. I haven't seen anything yet that provides a definitive answer......Peace .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook