SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

I think as usual what is being completely lost in translation here is the difference between a seaworthy boat and seaworthy-ness. I would suspect most people reading and writing on this post have never been over a hundred miles off shore or experienced extreme weather if you have please let us know, way back someone asked us to share our level of experience but I was the only one who did so perhaps there are all sorts of arm chair sailors here parroting what they have read.
We eat just as well if not better on our small boat. Our 22' boat has a very comfortable motion and we rarely get worn out regardless of the weather. People get exhausted at sea due to lack of experience or being short handed, on a 22' boat we are never short handed. If it gets really crappy out we heave to make cookies and watch a movie, no biggie. As far as seaworty-ness if you follow the seasons and use a little bit of caution you have nothing to worry about. Sailors who have little to no time at sea always worry about storms, for those of us who have spent a lifetime out there we maintain our boats and sail. For every sailboat lost at sea hundreds are lost by hitting land due to poor anchoring or navigation. Boats catch on fire, explode sink at the dock an get hit by other boats. Seaworthy-ness of boat construction and design is 10% of being safe at sea. More boats are lost every year because people rely on crazy accurate chart plotters but many charts are over a hundred years old and very inaccurate. People rely on depth sounders which old tell you how deep the shoal you just hit are. Look at any big plastic fantastic boat and you will see a large screen tv right in your safe line of site and the skipper glued to it. Most sailors have lost the ability to think and sail as we did just a few short years ago. Motors on boats keep getting bigger and bigger as do fuel tanks. Some guy posted on here that he has 2200 hours on his 2005 sailboat, in 8 years he has motored the equivalent of half way around the world oin a sailboat.
For anyone reading this who is actually here to learn an not just in it for the endless debate of my D1(k is bigger than yours I would say.
Get a boat
learn the ropes
save a few buck
go sailing
its the safest thing you can do in this world and yes heavy weather while sometimes scary is also quite fun when you are on a boat you trust and can safely handle.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook