SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock View Post

..... Snip ....
I have no vested interest in proving small boats are safer and in fact I'm not trying to do so. However, I am still wondering if in SOME situations that may be the case. I haven't seen anything yet that provides a definitive answer......Peace .
Jobberwock,

Thank you, my point exactly. I am not, and have not talked about the technical aspects of specific craft. I am NOT saying that every one should sail a boat that is XX foot long, big or small. I am not saying size takes no part in the equation. BUT I AM saying it is only part of the safety equation.

I am simply looking at the fact that so many people seem think if they, with no experience, go out and purchase a 60 foot boat, they will be so much safer than if they had purchased a 30 foot boat.

Jill and I feel safer in our, known to us, stout little boat, than if we were to hop on a 60 foot boat and just headed out. We feel STRONGLY that one member of the crew of a properly outfitted cruising boat should be able to handle the boat, with NO POWER ASSISTED equipment.

Larry P turned us on to the book, “The Venturesome Voyages of Captain Voss”. Voss sailed almost around the world, around 1900 to 1912, in Tilikum....

It's more than JUST size that makes a “safe” boat.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook