SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Mini Transat

"From Gijon to Sada, the Ministes are in the queue to go. The little colony has organised itself with typicl good humour and is prepared to wait it out while watching for a favourable weather window.

The experiences of those arriving after this first leg have varied considerably depending on how far to the west they were in in the Bay of Biscay, their reservers and resourcefulness to cope with this unexpected period ashore and their ability to deal with the the speed with which the situation is changing.

It's hard to imagine all the little annoyances caused by the impromptu stop. When the Ministes left for this first stage they had just a few essential changes of clothes for life at sea ... What they had with them was simple and functional, but not necessarily ideally adapted to life ashore. The stopover in Gijon has changed the game, especially for those who were relying on their families to have things organised for them in Lanzarote at the end of this first leg.

As a result it's been necessary to get organised. Working on the principal that we are never stronger than when we work together, the Ministes have taken over (with the generous agreement of the club) the premises of the Club Maritimo de Gijon and have unearthed some local gems. A sort of boarding house with dormitories has been requisitioned for the fleet, competitors have come together in groups working together to purchases underwear, socks and other items of clothing where they needed local language. "

Tuer le (mauvais) temps | Mini Transat 2013 - Douarnenez / Lanzarote / Pointe-ŕ-Pitre

This race definitively is going to be a strange race. It seemed to me that today they had a good window to sail out but they stayed put. I had a look at the weather and I would say that the conditions today were better than in all next week. Are they going to stay there for a week? This race is funny I guess the racers, mainly the top ones are not finding it so funny.

This is the problem to have more than 80 boats racing in an a Transat and most of all have mixing top racers with amateurs. Sure it is very nice but that creates completely different rhythms and paces. How can they find a window if the + 80 boats will be in 3 or 4 days stretched on a huge area?

Besides what is safe for a top sailor is not safe for a relative inexperienced amateur and they have to take as safety precautions what is safe for the worst sailors, even if the better would not have any problem with the conditions that can be unsafe for the less experienced.

I guess that after this race some things will have to change otherwise this race that is a prestigious one will turn in a folkloric one and not a meaningful sportive event anymore.

Well, at least we have some nice photos here:

2013 MINI TRANSAT START - MINI - 6 - 50 - RACES - EVENTS - OFFSHORE - RACING - Sea and Co, The Marine Photo Library

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-03-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook