SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advise to those moving aboard?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2002

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Advise to those moving aboard?

Ahoy, el, avast there ye knave ye not be from the " what n da h..''s " from Boston are ye? He.. He.. He.., sorry me simple mind gets out when me blood rum level gets low! AAHH thats better. Damn morning cafe taken up all that cup space for me rum. Ok me ballast is shifted and me keel be strait''n. What was that question ye had for ye Captian.. oh yeah well my wif(affectionatley referd to as me mushroom anchor) mighten dissagree wit me but technically I don''t live aboard. Used to be me cork screw but dem twiste caps fixed dat, damn Gulp , ahh , slipped on me deck again .Handiest you say? wit out a dought it would be the complete set of(5) 18V Dewalt power tools with extra batteries and chargers. Ye can tackle any project or repair ye need or want to do. Second would be your own swagging tools for yer rigging .Of course plenty of spare parts including stainless screws nuts bolts washers (I have no less that 25lbs of the stuff wit me at all times ) . Buy wholesale when ye start out and you''ll save yer self a lot of coin in the future. Why I even been know to sell some of me stock to unwary vessels at a pretty profit too.

Next item on ye manifest of questions? Can''t live wit out? I would tell ye about dem large rubber neon johnny sacks for ye port calls but wit the ole mushroom anchor tacking back and forth behind me shoulder I''ll lay another course.
Id have to say Ice, refridgeration. Dis here old salt could live offen the sea and keep h''is self appy with eggs wrapped in wax but me crew demands I provide more. So the second item would be the space for all that under me deck. In my climate formaldihide crystal packets are absolutley necessary for any period of shore leave when ye have to button up yer ship to keep the land sharks out.

Most problems ... eehh what problems? Ye be hearin tales yer captin ought to know about!! speak up ye knave. Gulp, gulp,AAHH, aye, sorry agin me chinks are a might testy today. Hiv testing after one of me bloody battles comes to mind but I figures I got enough run in be to kill even that. Aye but dem other bacteria be it on the cabin top on in de head or in ye cuts can be a constant chore to be sure. Me ships surgeon keeps his larder well stocked with all manner of ointments and dressings and powders, to repair the damage and keep ye fit for work. Aye the corrosive natureof the salt air on the electronics be just as particular to keep up wit lest ye be weak in a time of dire need.

Ye last question be the most difficult and me thinks ye be trying me patience wit ye foolish plans and dreams. Avast there... be yer answer in me wake. Ye got to be ready to fly yer Pirates flag and be dammed of it all. But truely I mean this no kidding .. you have to do it and not let anyone even yourself stop you. Make the hard decisions that keep you moving foward. Prepare , buy your vessel, stock your stores, minimize your need to interact with the outside world, and go. Time is comming like a freight train to put you back on shore for good. Im 45 and though I could make another 15 years of income whats the point? I barely have enough income to make it and thats just fine. When I need more than I have I go work for a temp agency or pick up odd jobs. In the real world Im here your there any questions? See you on the horizon! Big Red 56 the Pirate of Pine Island.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook