SailNet Community - View Single Post - We Killed the Pacific Ocean
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: We Killed the Pacific Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
You really think that massive electronic surveillance of the ocean is the answer to this problem?

Good luck with that.

There are about 200 countries operating on this planet and most are contributing to the pollution of the ocean. What's your plan to bring all of them to one mind and to act together?
I am probably more familiar with autonomous vehicle technology than you are. Small underwater drones would be anything but massive. Technoloy is leaping and bounding faster than we can even follow the advances. The capabilities and low cost are stunning. Nothing else, no other technology can approach it for low cost, lack of intrusion or impact and effective information gathering of this type.

Survelliance is a telling word choice,.. why would you say that? Seems to convey suspicion and evil doing. By your definition, would a farmer checking his cows be keeping surveillance on them?

I certainly don't have a plan to bring countries together. I do know that knowledge is better than lack of knowledge in developing policies and acheiving goals. If the goal is to NOT kill aquatic life, then information is the first step in preserving it.

Or we could follow your plan of reviving the ocean after all of humanity is extinct. :-)

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 11-04-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook