SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Transat Jaques Fabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Well, François Gabart was very diplomatic in his comments about the decision, and pretty much said that the IMOCA boats could have started but that he supported the RC's decision. What they say privately among themselves is another story, of course, but even though they could have gone racing doesn't mean they would have enjoyed themselves if they encountered 40-50 knots on the nose.

For the multi-hulls, an entirely different story, and nobody wants to see a repeat of several years ago when a good portion of the ORMA fleet was knocked out of the race, with boats breaking rigs and capsizing all over the place. Not good for the sponsors at all.

The start of the Mod 70 was to happen only in some days, not for security reasons but for the boats to arrive at the same time at the finish line, so it would not be a problem. I never understood when they did wanted to make the start for the M50 multihulls but if the idea was to arrive all at approximately the same time then the Open 60 would have to start first (unless the M50 get really bad weather on the way).

Remains the 40 class racers that due to the circumstances could have started with the Multihulls.

Do you saw the weather? It is not going to be better on the next days, have a look:

Cartographie | Mini Transat 2013 - Douarnenez / Lanzarote / Pointe-à-Pitre

If they are going to wait for the right conditions for multihulls they risk to wait more than a week.

I hope that the multihulls are safer know then on that famous race in the 90's were several capsized...but then they got 70K and they found out that the hard way that the wing masts that were used, even going bare pools, offered enough surface for the wind to capsize the trimarans with about 70K wind.

One that capsized was Cammas, then a young talented skipper. He become famous because he capsized at the middle of the night and only called for help at 9.00 AM. When the SAR asked him when he had capsized and he told them that was many hours ago, in the night, they could not believe. Cammas explained that everything was well with the boat and with him in what regards safety and that he wanted not wake them up at the middle of the night. Remember it was blowing 70K outside and you can imagine how was the sea.

From that time on Cammas become a favorite sailor of mine and is flair and balls has been on pair with its talent. Now he is without doubt one of the great sailors of our time ...and he is still pretty young ..I bet that much more is going to be accomplished

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-04-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook