SailNet Community - View Single Post - Huge Voltage Drain Problem - Ideas?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Huge Voltage Drain Problem - Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
A very nice clamp-on ammeter for very little $$$ is the Mastech MS2108 (NOT the MS2108A).

The 2108 is AC/DC, 600A capacity, in-rush current, etc., etc. I have two of them and often find myself reaching for them instead of my $350 Fluke 337.

Find 'em on eBay from US dealers in CA or NY/NJ for about $67.

Bill
Like you I also own the MS2108 but am not quite as happy over the long haul. I find the construction & long term durability pretty poor. My clamp lever is distorted and warped (from the factory), the case fit is very sloppy and my flashlight feature died in under a year. The meter hunts and floats pretty badly and does not zero out on either AC or DC. When I bought it a number of years ago it by far the best value on the market, today it has some competition..

Of course for the type of work the avergae DIY does, and this would be used for, it is still an EXCELLENT value in an AC / DC clamp meter. Be aware that the inrush feature does not work on DC but I would not expect a DIY to be using the inrush feature anyway...

When I first got mine I was pretty happy but the longer I have it the more the short comings begin to show up. Mastech does make some great stuff but the MS2108 could have been a tad better built in terms of durability IMHO..

A clamp meter I have been pretty impressed with for inexpensive boat DC work is this $50.00 Craftsman. My brother has one.. It is more robustly built and not as "floaty" as the MS2108. It also zeros out on clamp current where my Mastech won't any longer...

Craftsman 400A AC/DC Clamp Meter:
Sears.com

The UNI-T UT204A is also a decent little in-expensive AC/DC clamp meter. A friend has one and I was very skeptical but I honestly find the construction quality is better than my Mastech. I have not spent much time using it but it seems to performs admirably for the $40.00 +/- he paid...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook