SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
The other 2 are the SE Cape of Tasmania, and SW Cape on Stewart Island, southernmost main island of NZ...

Some Great Cape circumnavigations might bypass the first by passing thru the Bass Strait N of Tasmania instead, or the second by going via the Cook Strait between the N and S Islands of NZ...

.... I believe all of the RTW record attempts have been made running south of all 5, though I do seem to recall that some of the boats in The Race in 2000 may have run thru the Cook Strait, perhaps to have made a pit stop in Wellington for repairs...
This is the map of the triple circumnavigation on the 47ft boat:

Regarding the first one I don't think he was never North of the Equator. In fact it was a two times Antarctic circumnavigation. He passed South of the 5 more Southern Capes.

Normally today when someone talks about a circumnavigation by the three capes talks about only the three big none ones, the others are implicit. I had never heard someone talking about circumnavigating by the 5 capes even referring to passing all of them. I guess that the denomination "by the three capes" is the more common now.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook