SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Well, that is hard to know I mean what kind of boat made more passages and that dos not mean it is the better boat for the job.

Regarding records I know one that will interest you: The smaller boat to have circumnavigated non stop: A slightly modified mini class racer, a very light boat with 21ft. A very fast boat for its size.
Typically a mini class racer weights about 650kg, however this one was reinforced and was therefore heavier some hundreds of kgs. It had also to carry all the food and provisions needed for the voyage and that would amount also to more some hundreds of kgs.

It is also the smallest boat to have circumnavigated by the three capes. The boat did not have an engine, but then, it sailed very well.

Regards

Paulo
Paulo,
Please post a link to more information on the RTW mini trip if you have. Always curious why someone did not try a single hand RTW with such a boat- I guess they did. Interested as I know someone that races the mini and is planning a non stop RTW trip, but his boat of choice is an S&S 34. Mini does seem like a much faster way to go.
Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook