SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing, safety, & size
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing, safety, & size

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Windlasses are only made to lift the anchor and its chain, not for breaking the anchor free. I found this out once while I was trying to help a skipper free his 50 new yacht. I swam his anchor out so I could use the manual windlass to winch his boat off the sand bar- well I cranked on that windlass until somthing stripped.
We have never used our windlass to break the anchor free. Not even once. We bring the boat up to it so the chain is straight down. I have a chain stopper to hold it tight, NOT the windlass. I then normally tighten up manually and use the wave action or my weight to dip the bow and break it free. Only time I had much trouble was after sitting out a hurricane. The anchor was DEEP! AND into the bottom. But I was happy about it that time.

Was just talking Jill reminded me of the time we had to depart a open road stead in the Pacific we had anchored in. She was saying how gad she was that we didn't have to resort to manual means as the sea was starting to build a lot.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook