Thread: Phones Apps
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Phones Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I was incorrect. Data. When I switched to the iPhone I lost my unlimited plan. During the sailing season I notice a definite spike in data.
GPS doesn't use data. In a phone or tablet with built-in GPS the implementation is called assisted GPS (A-GPS). The device has a real full GPS. The phone or tablet "knows" the location of the cell tower it is connected to as part of network interaction (thus no data) and uses that as a seed to speed up the GPS position determination. It still works offshore, well out of cell phone range. It just takes longer to get a position solution.

I don't know if the plug-in GPS devices for WiFi only devices are just GPS or A-GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by br3nt View Post
You may want to try using it with airplane mode turned on.
On iOS devices airplane mode turns off the WiFi and the GPS. You can turn WiFi back on manually but not GPS. This is a pain offshore because the phone is desperately hunting for a cell phone signal it won't find and burns through battery kind of fast. Still, it works and if you're plugged into boat power isn't so bad.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook