SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learning to dock shorthanded
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
Re: Learning to dock shorthanded

Maybe I just have an easy slip. I just got my first bigger boat this year and was nervous about docking. I have to say that I find there is nothing to it. I tried it once with the wife onboard but told her to let me do everything. Was a piece of cake. I have since gone out singlehand several times and never have an issue docking. I am the clinton river and the slips are right on the river. I just drive up the river and make a left turn into the slip. I bring the boat to a stop, kill the engine and grab the boat hook. Snag my two back lines, then hop off and grap my bow lines off the wall and tie up. Just for the hell of it I tried backing in and had no issue at all. Just backed right in. Although I could not tie off that way because the slip is not rigged for it and I think I was bottoming out because I could not get less than about two or three feet from the seawall. And its a tartan 30 which I have always heard was a pain to back up. I found no issue at all. Not sure what gives but I never even think/worry about docking. Was/is way easier than I was thinking.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook