SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bleeding a Beta?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Question Bleeding a Beta?

I don't own a Beta engine, but I was looking through the Beta Marine Engine Manual (ya, I know, I need to get out more) and was puzzled when I did not see any reference to the bleed valve that is installed on Kubota motors. Instead, Beta has this long and drawn out procedure of opening fuel bleed screws, and manually operating the lift pump in the manual... Can anyone here with a Beta confirm that there is no fuel bleed valve?

In their defense, use of the bleed valve requires an electric lift pump, and Beta does not supply a fuel lift pump. However, I would guess that most people that have re powered with a Beta engine, have probably also installed an electric lift pump. (Facet seems to be the most common manufacturer. These are available at NAPA)

If Beta does not supply the fuel bleed valve, I would think that you could install an electric lift pump, and apply Christopher O Shaw's M25 Fuel Bleeder Upgrade which is documented here to make bleeding the engine a trivial process. That procedure is documented here; http://www.catalina30.com/TechLib/En...%20upgrade.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 11-06-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook