SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solo Mast Stepping System
View Single Post
post #20 of Old 11-06-2013
downeast450
Tundra Down

Re: Solo Mast Stepping System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
We also have a Nor'Sea 27 and use the boom to raise & lower our mast. We towed it back to Az. in the US from Guaymas, Mexico and Ed & Ellen helped us. There DVD is a GREAT place to start. You don't need all kinds of extra stuff to do it! Nor'Sea owners have been doing this for quite some time.

You can see us lower our mast in Mexico in our Youtube video at;
Towing Guenevere, our Nor'Sea 27, Guaymas Mexico to Az. USA - YouTube

at about 3 min 40 seconds into the video. NOTE, the video is in 3D, but you can just turn that off using the settings.

You can see raising a mast on another Nor'Sea 27 on our Youtube at;
HPCC & Nor'Sea ramp launch - YouTube At the Havasu Pocket Cruisers Convention on Lake Havasu. Raising starts about 7 min in. This video is NOT 3D

Greg
Greg,

Yup! That is what I am up to for my I-28. It looks simple enough. I have the tabernacle scale mockup ready to take to the fabricator. The boat is stored adjacent to the fabricator's and they think it a great idea! Ha! They have offered to hand carry the mast across the lot and weld on the cheek plates on for me. They want to see it work. Me too! I am a little anxious about doing it the first time but what can go wrong if I measure everything correctly and follow Ed's instructions. If things go as planned the "first time" will be a stepping. We will lift the mast onto the boat and start with it down. I am designing a crutch to support the bow rail and the mast when it gets lowered (and raised). I don't have the bow pulpit "extension the Nor'd Sea 27 does so the weight distribution I need to plan for is a concern. I am working on a roller that will make bringing the mast aft easier. Perhaps a roller that captures the base, too. When you remove the pin at the tabernacle, what kind of upward force do you experience at the base of your mast while it is sitting on the bow rail? I am expecting to have to "capture" the base of mine. Calculations next. I should be able to build a simple aluminum crutch with a couple of struts intersecting the bow rail and extending a couple of feet forward and a little higher. I like the idea of carrying it a bit higher than you do.

Thanks for the videos. How did you get the boat back on the trailer?

Down

Islander-28, Marshall Sandpiper
Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to downeast450 For This Useful Post:
Kielanders (11-08-2013)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome