SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Sailboat - the search
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: First Sailboat - the search

It's great that condition is a primary driver for you. A lot of first time buyers (including myself when I bought my first boat) focus a bit too much on price and don't give enough consideration to condition. Catching a boat up on 5 or 10 years of deferred maintenance isn't cheap, even in this smaller size range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheppyb View Post
We will see where things go over the next few months. With regards to the specific comments on the Westerly, I do appreciate being candid. Now all I have to do is to try to sort out those statements with others of equal experience that say things contrary.
I'd give Jeff_H's comments more strength than almost any forum member on any of the sailing forums that I read. He provides a lot of great information on here and I learn something from almost every post of his that I read. If you read his other posts I think you'll find the same to be true for you. If he says a boat is a dog I have to believe that it is a dog.

25-29' is a big size range, especially if you plan on doing any cruising. I started with a Catalina 25 and found it a little tight for two for cruising longer than a weekend or two. I moved up to a Pearson 28 which is at the upper end of your scale and it is a lot more comfortable. On the other hand the Catalina was a lot cheaper to maintain and had many fewer systems, which made it a great first boat.