SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Redline 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
It is pure speculation on my part, but I suspect that the Redline 41 is the Mills design that the New York Yacht Club should have chosen in 2005 when they, instead, decided to go with the Frers-designed Swan 42 built by Nautor's. ...
So, I guess I'd say that there is a market for this kind of thing, but the economy right now isn't what it was in 2005, when NYYC pulled the trigger on the 42s. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Let me add that US Watercraft bought the C&C trademark and is building and marketing the boats on their own, which I think is a first for them. This might be just what the doctor ordered to breathe new life into that classic brand, particularly working with a top designer like Mills. Sort of like what McConaghy has been doing lately with Jason Ker.

Certainly very exciting times in the yachting industry. The global economy is a disaster but interesting boats continue to appear like clockwork. I'm very grateful.
Yes I agree, I hope the boat will be a success but the Swan 42 is not a success as a performance cruiser. The boat was only sold in a considerable number because won a contest and was chosen by some rich guys as a one design cruiser-racer for them to play with. The 42 is not even on the list of boats that Swan makes now.

Regarding the two boats there are some considerable differences: The Swan has a bit more than 70cms on the waterline but most of all it is a much more beamier boat, almost 30cms more. The Redline is 850kg lighter. I believe that the Redline will be more fun to sail than the swan but a more difficult boat, specially with a short crew.

The Swan 42 was designed as a club racer and not really as a performance cruiser. On the Redline their intention is to make a dual purpose boat:

"The original C&C Company was reaching the height of their reputation building winning race boats, when they built a prototype of the original Redline 41. This boat was commended for its racing performance and cruising abilities, one of the first of its kind to be able to both cruise and race beautifully.

Today, C& C Yachts recaptures the essence of the original Redline 41: fast, sleek, seaworthy, and performs exquisitely under sail, whether she is racing or cruising."

Redline 41 | C&C Yachts

Maybe I am not seeing it right but the boat seems to me to be too extreme to be a good performance cruiser, if we see a cruiser as essentially a solo boat or duo boat. His narrow hull and huge power will be a handful to a solo sailor or to a couple. Time will tell

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-06-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook