SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Stream 40

The place where there are designed and built more boats of the Redline type is Italy. France is the paradise in what regards fast solo or short crew boat designs and Italy seems to be the same in what regards fast crewed boat designs, boats that are meant to fast cruising but most of all to race. Passion for fast sailboats runs high on both countries.

A very good example of that is the new Stream 40 designed by Gianluca Adragna team. The boat shares the spirit and market target with Redline but with a different type of hull.

Take a look at the stern:

It seems that the type of stern developed by Ker (that he talked about on a previous post) is being replicated by other designers.

The overall length on the Stream 40 is smaller (11.99 to 12.35m) but the LWL surprisingly is bigger (10.70 to 10.55m). It is lighter (5.500 to 6.400kg) and considerably beamier ( 4.00 to 3.68m2) Finally in what regards draft the Stream has a more moderated one (2.35 to 2.50m). They don't mention the Ballast on the Stream but I am sure that the B/D ratio is smaller than the one on the Redline 41.

Regarding performance cruising all this criteria makes the Stream 40 a better boat (in what regards hull design). Not only the draft is small but the boat is less radical with a higher roll moment of inertia. I mean the Redline with that very low CG and much lesser hull form stability will tend to roll a lot more when it is not "tied" by its sails, I mean on those conditions where the wind is very light but the seas big, when motoring or at an anchorage. The bigger roll moment of inertia and more initial stability will make it also the Stream 40 an easier boat to sail, specially with a smaller crew. The Red line will sail upwind with a lot more heel than the Stream and will tend to roll more downwind. not the ideal for cruising.

On the Stram 40 they also developed the safety parameters that are not only important to race but even more for cruising. The boat has a frontal crash box and a new system to connect the keel to the hull and distribute the forces all around. It is studied to resist 3g forces and resist groundings (all the hull will deform with a grounding, absorbing energy before returning to the original form).

Regarding the interior we did not see yet the Redline one, except on a plan and that does not say much about real quality. He have photos from the Stream interior and they show a good cruising interior for a very fast performance cruiser but one that could be a lot better if they used an interior designer, at least in what regards color.

The colors scheme is just plain wrong and while the dark wood of the cabinets absorbes all the light on the top, the bright red of the upholstery given a red tan to all ambient not to mention the very dark "floor" on a boat with not much imterior light. I can do a lot better and I am not specialized in boat interiors as many Architects are. Just terrible and it is a shame because the interior, not considering that disaster, is not bad at all. Not difficult to change considering that this is certainly a semi custom boat.

You can see more photos here:

Stream 40 Gallery ? Adragna Yacht DesignAdragna Yacht Design

while developed with a dual purpose these boats will be more used for racing than for cruising. So what about pure performance while racing with a crew?

We can only look at weight, hull form and sail area and take a guess. Regarding sail area the Stream 40 has a bigger main and a smaller jib (52.00 to 51.05m2 - 38.00 to 41.20m2) and in what regards Spinnaker they both can carry the same sail area: 140 m2

The sail areas are similar, the Redline is narrower probably with a superior RM from the keel while the Stream has considerably more hull form stability and is also considerably lighter. Overall I bet the boats will have a very close performance with some advantages to one or another depending on points of sail and sea conditions. Maybe one day will see these two racing together and we can really see what they are worth comparatively.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-07-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook