SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to get my boat to Florida without breaking the bank
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: How to get my boat to Florida without breaking the bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGOSALT View Post
Hello Brad,
mmm...Will travel for ice cream,
let me know if it's a go!
With cooperative weather, long weekend could
place boat in mouth of Chesapeake or in
Pamlico sound
400nm +-(inexpensive protected moorings)
within striking distance of n Fl./Bah.

But lots of logistics in play beyond positioning boat.

Best,
Hugo
Uhhh, Pamlico Sound? Not with a 68' air draft, he won't :-)

One of the real problems with trying to stage the boat in a place like Beaufort/Morehead City, it's easily a full day of travel out of there to get back home... Now that there's no longer an Avis location in Morehead City, that place has become a real PITA to get to and from... And, it will cost you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Brad--

Why not offer the boat as "Available for One-Way Charter" to the Bahamas from New York in a couple of sailing magazines--South Winds, Latitude 38, etc. You might actually find someone willing to pay you to sail the boat down to the Bahamas. You could meet her in Marsh Harbor, or West End, or where-ever and keep her in Florida for a year or two, eh?

Think of how old Tom Sawyer got his fence whitewashed, no?
I don't know, some of these solutions are sounding a bit too 'creative' from an insurance standpoint... I have no idea what sort of coverage Brad might have, but chances are he may have to get a rider to expand the geographical limits of his coverage for such a trip to start with, and I can imagine that any insurer might balk at the prospect of covering such a trip, with a potentially unlicensed skipper and crew...

Not to mention, I would guess the pool of 'customers' willing to pay to sail south around Hatteras in December is probably pretty small :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook