SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solo Mast Stepping System
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Solo Mast Stepping System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
I used the exact same system on the S2 7.9, got my buddy to do it with his... He and his father modified the support behind the boat to use the gudgeons to put a mast-upper on them.... the key is to get the mast raised a bit at the stern. Catalina direct sells a "mast-upper" that has pins that drop right into your gudgeons.... and the device extends from road height to I believe 6-8 feet above the gudgeons.. I used that device on my Capri 22, but a friend of mine has used it on his Oday 26 (MUCH heavier than the S2).

if you look close I tied off the bottom corners of the A-frame to the stanchions. since the A-frame remains fixed, I tilt it a bit towards the stern, so the tendency is to kick out forward, so tying off to the stanchions (from behind), stabilizes it right away... and there is NO slipping then. If you worry about the deck scratching (and you should), you can put carpet on the bottom corners of the A-frame. Mine is a 3 stay rig, 2 lowers, 1 upper... and i leave the aft lowers connected, and the upper.. but the forward lowers are free (as per catalina 25 suggested manual).. You have to be a LITTLE more careful with the S2 rig, because the spreaders are swept more, and there are only 1 set of lowers nearly in line with the uppers.
Awesome, Thanks! You used the spinnaker pole bracket on the S2's mast as the lift point as well? I may modify the design just a bit, but I think that this is the direction I'm going to go, I like it a LOT better than the jerry-rigged spinnaker pole method I've used up to now, and it seems like it is easier and safer.