SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solo Mast Stepping System
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Solo Mast Stepping System

Rhys05, yes used the spin pole ring on the S2 to raise the mast.. the key is to get the ring as high up as possible.... My buddy has a T-track on his mast, so we put it at like 6 feet high (highest point).... it worked fine.

You could also attach above the spreaders with a bridle, however you must make the bridle large enough so that once the mast is up, you can untie the bridle from the ground. This doesn't help much for lowering though... an alternative might be to install a fixed ring at a reachable height when the mast is up... but I guess you could swag a line around and above the spreaders with a little effort too.

By the way, TakeFive's system was what my fellow club-mate used (almost identical) for his Oday 26 mast, the gin pole and some temporary baby stays. The Oday 26 mast is about 100lbs. He used a light trailer winch for the crank, and frankly I was impressed by it's ease of use, and functionality... He prefers it's use because of the requirement for connecting his roller furler drum (which requires a fairly forward leaning mast to get connected apparently).

Last edited by SHNOOL; 11-07-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook