SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
On design: Crew weight, boat speed and hull design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
I continue my crew-weight line of remarks. On this Stream 40 with 10 crew we have and additional weight of around 900-1000 kg to add to empty weight. And when trying to plane or going downwind in light wind you have very little use of that weight. My Opium 39 with 3 of us in crew has a lower overall weight! Is it not better to put that weight in the keel or using hull form? At least you do not need to muster 10 people.

I guess some of the answer lays in the ratings but still I think it is a littlel bit silly when we talk of boat weights and ballast ratios and these types of boats really are designed for an additional (living) weight of 900 kg.

Anders
The answer is no.

There is nothing like reality: If professional racing crews that can race on the same boat with a small crewed, solo or with the maximum crew allowed chose never to race with a small crew and almost always race with near the bigger crew allowed that's because they can be faster that way and this has nothing to do with ratting because unfortunately boats with bigger crews are not penalized and vice verse.

Obviously a bigger weight on the ballast does not beat the moving ballast provided by a good crew.

A more beamier boat develops more drag and boats with huge beams are not faster, except with a solo or duo crew and just because it is impossible to sail a boat like the Stream 40 at 100% with a solo sailor. Even less with the Redline. A lighter boat is not always faster, specially in some points of sail and sea conditions.

Take a look at the beam of an VOR 60 and the beam of and an Open60. A lot more on the Open60 and a VOR 60 is faster, providing that someone does not try to sail it solo Both are boats designed for the trade winds and downwind sailing. Have a VOR 60 racing upwind and an even smaller boat like a Ker 50 can be faster than the VOR.

Most races, inshore or offhore, except trans oceanic races are races with mixed winds, upwind and downwind, were performance cruisers derived from ocean Solo racers are not overall as fast in real time. I have showed it here many times with race results and performances.

Now, another thing is to know what is the faster type of boat with a solo sailor or a duo crew on a offshore or coastal race but not one on the trade winds. Those races (solo and duo) are becoming more and more popular as divisions on big classic races. I am yet looking at it. Not enough data yet to take conclusions

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook