SailNet Community - View Single Post - Production Boats and the Limits
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Production Boats and the Limits

Smack,

As Bob is pointing out, the problem in these kinds of comparasons is the apples to cocoanuts nature of the discussion points. To really assess the motion comfort of your Hunter relative to a purpose built offshore cruiser, you should be comparing the motion of your boat to an offshore cruiser of a similar displacement rather than one of similar length. Similarly, to understand how comfortable a SW 42 is compared to a more modern performance cruising design, you might compare the motion of a SW 42 to a similar displacement boat like a J-160.

But there are also other pieces of the puzzle beyond simply length or displacement. To a very great extent hull shape (buoyancy distribution above and below the waterline), dampening, and weight distribution are the predominant factors in how a boat will feel.

And when you talk about a boat like the Pearson 365, from watching them underway, they have always appeared to be relatively rolly designs. That makes sense when you consider their comparatively round bottom design and shallow draft keel. In a classic sense, their motion might be considered 'seakindly' in that there are no sudden starts and stops.

Studies of motion sickness, have concluded that the reaction to motion varies pretty widely with the individual. One of the larger and more comprehesive study which I had seen, concluded that in near equal proportions, there were people for whom quick changes in motion are unacceptable but they can tolerate large amounts of reciprocating rotational motion. Another group can tolerate quick changes in motion but they cannot tolerate large amounts of reciprocating rotational motion. At third group cannot tolerate either type of motion. And a forth group cannot be made sick under any type of motion.

The point being that you, like me, may have a problem with slow rolling motion, while you may not have a problem with quick accelerations. I have never been seasick on my boat, even navigating down below on a beat into a chop, but experienced mild discomfort on a trawler yacht in surprisingly calm conditions.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook