SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solo Mast Stepping System
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Solo Mast Stepping System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys05 View Post
...Right now I have been using the spinnaker topping lift halyard as the lift point, it seems to work okay, but it is a bit high so the tension in the line has to be pretty high before the lifting component is enough to move the mast, I'd like to try to minimize the line tensions as much as possible. ...off to do some trig and engineering!
You might not see it in the pics or videos, but I have two connection points to hold the mast up. I have a spare jib halyard that connects the top of the mast to the end of the gin pole, and a second line that connects to a homemade harness that goes halfway up the mast (just under the spreaders) and down to the end of the gin pole. On my boat, some people use the former and some people use the latter. (Catalina changed their instructions on how to do this at some point.) I chose to use both for redundancy, and also to minimize flexing and vibration of the mast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook