SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to get my boat to Florida without breaking the bank
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013
Lookin' for an excuse ...

CaptTony is on a distinguished road
Re: How to get my boat to Florida without breaking the bank

I did deliveries from the mid-Atlantic states down to Florida years ago when I was doing deliveries for a living. The good news is bad weather will be at your back as you go south. The bad news is if you get into the gulf stream by accident or design, you are in for some bad stuff with the wind out of the north. I've been there and it is no fun.

A 50 footer from Beaufort can probably get down to at least West Palm Beach, Florida in six days hugging the coast to avoid the stream and catch the southbound counter current. If you were driving from Beaufort to West Palm Beach, it is 800 miles and the shape of the route for sailing is about the same as going down I-95. If you have a good weather window and the sails can be easily reefed, the trip should not be too much of a problem. However, I wouldn't wait too long to move. And you better have at minimum 4 crew doing the move on that size boat. Two on watch at all times to quickly handle a problem if one comes up and two in the rack who are getting well rested for their shift. Even if you get all volunteers, they are going to want transportation covered and food. It's going to be costly.

Having said all that, I would be interested to hear how your plans develop. PM me if you will.