SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013

JAndersB is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

I also think we are talking in circles now regarding crew weight so I just want to end with repeating that my remark was a more philosophical observation and also more cruising and boat design oriented.

We also have different opinions about single/double rudders, as concluded before.I have tried both, single rudder with low ballast and narrow hulls, with low ballast and wide hulls, with high ballast with narrow and wider hulls and now doubble rudders, wide hull and rather low ballast. Never 10 crew though because I am only cruising. I have also read "all" boat tests on the market and I stand by my opinion that there is a difference especially in ghusty conditions and crusing, especially when you do not have a lot of ballast and 10 guys on the rail or one for every sheet. Put in even more ballast or make the boat extremely narrow (Faurby, old swedish cruisers) to prevent it broaching when tryingto get 100% , to replace the crew and you get a very heavy or difficult boat on a reach.

But all this we have been through in discussion earlier and I know that there are different opinions and sailing conditions so I agree, let's move on.

Andrers
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook