SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Trouble on Route to the Caribbean

I hope the report about the conditions is incorrect (certainly a good possibility), but if it is correct this is ridiculous. Last year crossing the Indian Ocean we had 20 to 30 knots with waves in the 10 to 15 foot range for two weeks. Best sailing of my life and I am hardly the gung-ho, let-it-rip type. It only got windy as we neared South Africa.

I agree with Capta, the nanny state will get us if we don't demonstrate common sense. BTW, for a South African to leave harbour in command of a vessel you need to have local yacht master credentials, not even the British ones are accepted, but 50 knots is pretty common here and the cruising guide talks of waves to 20 m (66 feet) in the Agulhas Current with the wrong wind. Maybe the answer is to get rid of rallies that are any more than social arrangements. They may give false security to people.