SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solo Mast Stepping System
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: Solo Mast Stepping System

Rhys05, yes the fixed ring is high enough I believe it's about 6 feet from the deck or about 4 from the base of the mast... Yes the S2 mast is about 30lbs heavier than the Capri 25... yet about the same height (which is really where all the "problem" is)... It may be 100lbs, but it takes roughly 300-400lbs of force to get it started in lifting, an extra set of hands to get it started in the upward direction is helpful, but ideally the A-frame has to handle the weight, so you're better off not letting slack occur in the raising process, or it could BOUNCE and induce excess stress 2-3 times the load... the amount of initial "grunt" goes down substantially depending on how high up the aft end of the mast starts. Therefore the "initial" setting for the mast should be well above horizontal... Ideally it'd be the maximum comfortable height for one person standing on the cockpit seats to lift the mast and set it down into the support... therefore mine is about 6-7 feet off the cockpit seat... Lifting just the 1 end too, is not a lot of effort... as you put the pin into the bottom of the mast first THEN lift the mast up to the highest setting on the aft mast support (which ideally is at or behind the center of grav, which if you note in my picture, the support angles OUT off the stern to well behind the boat, I've tied it off to the stern cleats, and locked it into my stern pulpit, it never moves).

I should note that I've raised and lowered the mast 2 times myself now... if you look at the pictures closely, you'll see some are from spring some are from fall, both from this year.

This is a good investment... but building your own (like TakeFive)... works too! Catalina Direct: Mastup Mast Stepper CP-14.2, C-15, C-16.5, CP-18, C-22, CP-22, C-25, C-250

Last edited by SHNOOL; 11-08-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook