SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solo Mast Stepping System
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: Solo Mast Stepping System

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post

This is a good investment... but building your own (like TakeFive)... works too! Catalina Direct: Mastup Mast Stepper CP-14.2, C-15, C-16.5, CP-18, C-22, CP-22, C-25, C-250
Yep, I've actually already got something almost exactly like that that the PO made, works okay, except for trying to raise it up while the mast is sitting on it. I end up lifting the mast while my wife lifts the "mast upper" up and tries to get a pin in a hole. Need to figure out a better way to get it working than that.. Yes, definitely know about the initial few degrees of tilt is the hardest, definitely the part that is currently making us feel that it is a three person, rather than one or two person job. (One to pull the mainsheet attached to the spin pole, and two to stand on the cabin top to "hoof" it up. It works..but is less than ideal for if/when the wife and I want to take the boat elsewhere to go cruising, hence my search for a better engineered solution to make it easier and safer to do ourselves without an extra person.