SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Thanks for your note and your Amazon review, Ranthra! Only a few people in the book have their real names: me, my brother and his family, Tweety, Jon, and Duffy (I changed his last name). Everyone else has a pseudonym. "Doug" and I keep in touch - he is outfitting his own 36' sloop in Florida now, at age 71, invited me to sail some time - he is a private person and does not have anything to say about the book, and he is not interested in collaborating with me on a book about HIS experiences outfitting and sailing alone as a senior. "Joyce" and I keep in touch too - true to form, she demanded a free copy of the book and I sent her one. She took the cover photo, used with her permission.

If I had to write the book over I would make it more clear that Joyce was worth having on board. People remember the conflicts. I also should have been more clear on the fact that the troubles we had with the head were MY fault, because I permitted my crew to use it incorrectly, and four adults are too many for one composting head - we would need two - even if we used it perfectly. Glad to hear you are using one. Probably beats the nastiness of the standard system.

I am still in Marina del Rey and "feeling the pull," but I hesitate to quit my job as I did nine years ago because in our modern economy (and at age 53+) I will not be able to get another one like it, at a similar salary, ever.

Working on a novel this year, nothing about sailing, but it's still an adventure story. my intended audience are young adults, although it will be suitable for adults too.

Keep in touch - fair winds -

Glenn
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook