In this beginning of the Transat I was surprised by the performance of the 40class boats, The Leaders leaved several Open60 and Multi 50 behind...before having to take shelter in Roscoff. Again I do not understand very well the race committee. The decision was made because the class 40 had not the speed to pas safely before some strong winds that will come in 24h and obviously the committee thinks they cannot make it in safety.
What I do not understand is if the 40class racer cannot do it safely those 2 multi 50 that were behind most 40 class racers can? Regarding strong winds I certainly would prefer to take my chances on a 40class racer than on a multi 50 specially if they are racing.
The 40 class race is stopped again
, This time they will wait in Roscoff till the front passes.
"Leading the Transat Jacques Vabre Class 40 fleet in to their weather stop at Bloscon, Roscoff Sébastien Rogues and Fabien Delahaye on GDF SUEZ crossed the line there in first place at 14h45m 25s (local CET) to earn themselves a margin of 19 minutes and 39 seconds when they restart to Itajaí.
Spain’s Alex Pella and Pablo Saturde on the new Botin designed Tales Santander 2014 rose from fifth in the early morning to take second place, gaining in the reaching conditions in to the finish line, whilst the German flagged Mare of Jorg Riechers and Pierre Brasseur crossed third 4 mins and 27 seconds behind the Spanish pair."
A surprise the 2th place, of the Spanish team. Nice
They beat two heavy weight, Jörg Riechers/Pierre Brasseur that come in 3th.
The Ker 40class racer made only 15th:
"In 15th place Britons Sam Goodchild and Ned Collier Wakefield were taking some time to get to know their new boat, finding their straight line speed good but they felt they struggled more on the corners and transitions:
“We are glad to have got here, it is a learning process as much as a race for us and doing things in the middle of the night is not the best way to learn, but we are OK. We are not too upset where we finished, we were in the mix but made a couple of mistakes and did get stopped at the start under a cloud, but it is all OK. We got stopped a little off Guernsey but we are happy with how the boat is going.”
Let's wait a bit more to see if that boat is a match or not.
Regarding the others, it is going to be a hard night and a worst morning: Take a look at the weather:
Transat Jacques Vabre 2013
The boats are already getting 25K and the worst is coming on the Biscay bay were the waves and the sea are very problematic with strong winds. They all should got 50k gusts. Not agreable. I wish the best of luck to all, specially to the crews on Multi 50. After all it seems they are not going to make it fast enough to escape and are going to take the worst of it.
I have the biggest consideration regarding those sailors. The Multi 50 are the most difficult boats to sail and with two and bad weather they require constant attention.
The Open 60's they are finally at speed and are going to speed even more. I believe that in those bad conditions they are going to gain on the multi 50. Big balls anyway to keep on speeding on these conditions. Interesting to see who is going to be the fastest on the bad weather, where having the fastest boat make not much difference.
The star team is leading (Gabart/Desjoyeaux), Riou/Le cam are second and Marc/Pascal, that have been 2th are now in 5th. I wonder if they have already a problem in the boat. They are sailing slowly.