SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kaufman 47 cutter, anyone have anything on these boats?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

SailRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: Kaufman 47 cutter, anyone have anything on these boats?

Thanks for the detailed right up, Jeff. An I appreciate the clarification of depowering, I understood it and I think I had the terminology incorrect, but definitely gave me more knowledge.

With all this said, would the cutter sail similar to a sloop if the jibstay was removed and only left with the Genoa to tack? Would you lose performance or speed with the absence of the jib?

Also, since the genoa is so large, could you not get it cut similar to a sloop jib in order to point higher?

I am asking these questions because though I have raced mostly in the last 5 years I am still learning the technical aspects of sailing, which can be a lifetime of information. I appreciate the advice and I am reading as much as I can so please don't think I'm just asking to be spoon fed.

With the boat, if I get it, I would probably be cruising it more than racing. And if I raced it it would be long distance rates since the CNC34 I race on we use for can and Lake races. I have been wanting to do Isla Mujeres for some time but the cnc is not up to it.

Ronnie

-sent from sea via corked bottle
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook