SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Sorry but I do not agree. Certainly there are needed navigation skills to make a 3200NM ocean passage before GPS, on a small boat certainly more than in a ship but surviving a big ocean passage on an open 23ft open boat not designed to be particularly seaworthy (it was an auxiliary boat) involves a lot of luck. I cannot understand how you can say otherwise.

Regards

Paulo
I have sailed the waters that he crossed and many of the routes he sailed with Cook. I have read of these men since I was a child and in very few cases have I found that anything these guys did was left up to luck. If luck is involved, then I would imagine that they had a great deal more bad luck than good.
It's obvious you have never commanded men aboard ship, but when it comes down to the bottom line, you had better not be trusting to luck when there are 23 thirsty, starving, hardened seamen in the same boat as you.