SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
I have sailed the waters that he crossed and many of the routes he sailed with Cook. I have read of these men since I was a child and in very few cases have I found that anything these guys did was left up to luck. If luck is involved, then I would imagine that they had a great deal more bad luck than good.
It's obvious you have never commanded men aboard ship, but when it comes down to the bottom line, you had better not be trusting to luck when there are 23 thirsty, starving, hardened seamen in the same boat as you.
I continue not understanding your point. It was not 23 but 18 sailors plus Bligh.

I am not diminishing Bligh feet. Yes, it is an extraordinary navigation and human feat and he certainly had to have remarkable commanding qualities to have all under control. That is not the part I am referring when I am talking to luck.

They have made that voyage not in a sailboat with ballast neither in any specially seaworthy small 23ft boat but on the Bounty's launch. The Bounty's launch is an auxiliary boat, an open boat that serves as a tender and eventually to pull the Ship in port maneuvers. It was an open boat not suited at all for any offshore sailing.

The fact that such boat, without any special preparation, have managed to successfully made a 3618NM voyage on an open ocean has to do mainly with luck, even if it was sailed by the best possible crew.

The fact that you had made the same voyage with your boat has nothing to do with it.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook