SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
You probably have personal experience with crews, that informs your preference.

But, you know it takes a little more than just test taking to get a Master's Ticket. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Trip to Bermuda and back from the eastern US could qualify someone for a Yachtmaster Ocean credential (Within 10 years. )

While a CG master 100T, near coastal would require 720 total days of which 360 must be near coastal
with 90 days of recent sea time beyond the Boundary line.
I was referring to the evaluation and not to the prerequisites. To get a Yachtmaster (or the Master of Oceans) from MCA you have to go sailing with a credentialed evaluator.

I've sailed with lots of licensed crew (who I call paper captains) who built up the time one way or another (including a number who did it as stewardesses on big boats) but couldn't apply the knowledge they demonstrated on the test. The red ensign licenses require that you demonstrate application in addition to knowing the answers. It's a good approach.

Let's not forget that the ralliers (whether you like rallies or not) are out there.

Decision-making changes when you are at sea. The books don't matter so much.

I am very curious about the dismasting. Was it a boat problem with the rigging (in which case ISAF-like regulations might have helped) or a crew problem (for example back-to-back crash gybes) in which case all the inspections in the world won't help.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook