SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
The link to this publication states 2 of the 5 boats were part of the rally.

Sail-World.com : Caribbean-bound yachts head south - five rescues in 24 hours
I came to this conclusion after looking at the tracking data on the rally's web page. Three of the boats were not listed.
When an incident like this hits the news, it sets off a lot of discussion about the who, what, when, where and (especially) why. Yet news coverage is sketchy, inaccurate, and confusing. Confusing because often the reports use terms inaccurately.
At one point in our discussion, the size of the boats was indicated to be an important factor. It seems that there are seven boats under 40 feet, about 50 that are between 40 and 50 feet, 13 are between 50 and 60 feet and one over 60 feet. These aren't dinks out there braving the elements. Indeed, most of the comments are along the lines "boat and crew doing fine, good sailing".
Maybe it's my goody two shoes attitude, but one would think that the owner of a 40-60 foot sailboat would have prepared himself and his boat before embarking on a major sea voyage. It seems that this is in fact true.
So now it appears that two salty dog ralliers made calls for assistance. A Morgan OI 416 suffering from seasickness asked to be evacuated. And a 38 foot dismasted sailboat called but refused evacuation and is continuing on to the Bahamas.
For their sake, I hope the SDR people parse the news and give an account of how their participants fared. One case of a sea sick crew should be treated as an anomaly.
One thought cones up though. Maybe the CG should air drop some of those electronic sea sickness wrist bands to a crew like that on the Ahmisa and check back later.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook