Join Date: Aug 2001
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Looking For First Boat - Columbia vs Others
Well, finally saved up some money to buy the first boat! Some background and criteria:
- Basically I have a max price of $10,000
- I am 34 years old and have sailed off and on since I was young on sunfish, etc. but the last 3 seasons I have been sailing Cape Cod Mercuries on the Charles River and reading as much as I can on navigation etc. I plan to take a coastal navigation course in the Spring.
- I live in Boston and will sail most likely between north and south shore, cape, islands, etc
- Looking to use for mostly day sailing with the occasional overnight or weekend
- Looking for a decent sailing boat but I do not plan to race or need crew on the rail to keep the boat stable
- Standing headroom would be nice but not required
- Plan to single hand the boat 99% of the time
- Looking for simplicity - want a boat that has an outboard motor and not an inboard, and would be happy with (prefer) hank on sails instead of roller furling.
Based on those criteria and my level of sailing experience I thought some good candidates would be:
- Columbia 26Mk2
- Cape Dory 25 (not the D model)
- Pearson 23 (not the cat model)
- Bristol 24
- Bristol 27
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.