SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

John,

Oh, she got her free copy! She also gave me written permission to use her photo on the cover (she took the photo, so legally she owns it). We are still in touch. Many people who read the book, especially in the Amazon reviews, wanted to know why I "put up with" her, so I took from that the notion I did not do a good job in portraying her contributions. I guess different people get different impressions.

I was looking at boats on the internet last night, and I cam AWFUL close to going out to see a Hans Christian 36 today. In many ways, it makes sense to buy a boat with a modern, faster hull. But something in me says if you're going to spend around $60-80,000 on a used boat, PLUS all the added expense involved in buying and owning ($$$$$), the aesthetic appeal factor better be right. The traditional hulls and deck layouts are so appealing to me, even though I know those boats are slower (especially to weather) and have smaller cockpits (a plus in rough weather but a distinct minus when you want to take three friends to Catalina for the weekend). I just fall in love . . . especially when you're talking a furling main AND re-powered in 2007.

Now is the time to buy - it's a soft market. Must . . . resist . . .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook