SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
You probably have personal experience with crews, that informs your preference.

But, you know it takes a little more than just test taking to get a Master's Ticket. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Trip to Bermuda and back from the eastern US could qualify someone for a Yachtmaster Ocean credential (Within 10 years. )
While a CG master 100T, near coastal would require 720 total days of which 360 must be near coastal
with 90 days of recent sea time beyond the Boundary line.
No intent to argue the merits of one over the other. Other than to say that it's more than sitting down and taking a test..
The USCG 100 ton ticket is a joke internationally. It can be gotten by anyone who fakes sea time and takes a course on how to pass the test; there is rarely a verification process. It is not valid in any other country and does not equal a certificate of competency, it is only a permit to operate vessels certified by the USCG.
I know nothing about the RYA system other than it is recognized in the industry as the standard for capable and qualified mariners.
On the other hand, my Commonwealth Pacific Islands Certificate of Competency as a Mate was a 25 hour examination after I operated as harbor pilot, docking/undocking all merchant vessels for a month, not some silly multiple choice exam.
I have worked under several unlimited master's certificates, the Commonwealth certificate and a USCG 200 ton Master's License from the USCG and can unequivocally state that the USCG paper is worthless as a testament to a person's knowledge and abilities.