SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Sorry, I'm late to this party, but just want to offer a few comments, regarding what I see as a fair amount of misconception in this thread...

The 1500 and the SD did NOT depart at roughly the same time... While a few SD boats - CELEBRATION, DISTANT STAR departed well in advance of the majority of the SD fleet, the 1500 has been sailing in an entirely different weather situation... Dave/Auspicious and I had some discussion of this in the "Where do I sleep" thread a week ago...

Heed Dave's comments on the Salty Dawg... I know the Knowles' as well, they're very experienced, and have put together a very good program with the SD... It is a VERY loosely organized 'rally' in comparison to the 1500, they have always made it very clear their function is not to hold anyone's hand, everyone is responsible for making their own decisions re departures, and everything else... The Salth Dawg Rally definitely does NOT adhere to any sort of 'schedule', whatsoever...

I've only heard bits and pieces over the past two days, having been on the water myself... I left Annapolis Friday morning with a Cabo Rico 42, and just returned to the boat from the usual wonderful dinner in Coinjock...

I'm inclined to believe the conditions that the boats offshore saw might have been considerably more impressive than what's being reported... Our sail down the Bay yesterday and last night was fantastic, but featured a lot more breeze behind that front than was forecast... Talking with some boats here tonight in Coinjock, that were held up for a couple of days in Portsmouth waiting for a passage thru the damaged Great Bridge Lock, it sounded like the weather that passed thru the Tidewater in association with the latest front was pretty serious... And, based upon the kick-ass sail we had yesterday down to Smith Point, I'd believe it...

From what I understand, a Catana 46 was dismasted, and a Catalina 42 ("JAMMIN") has lost their steering...

As I said to Dave last week, I think the 1500 made the better call this year, leaving when they did... They've had a very fast trip, but some pretty challenging conditions for much of the way... When the crew of a boat like a Hylas 54 reports that "everything is absolutely soaked", you know it's been a pretty sporty ride, hard on the breeze. Good luck to all those out there, looks like another very broad area of gale conditions will develop from Hatteras to Canaveral by Wednesday.... I'm hoping to at least hop outside again on Tuesday from Morehead to Wrightsville, but even that might be cutting it close, we shall see, but I'm guessing I'll be inside the rest of the way from Little River to Charleston...

Anyway, sorry this is rather disjointed, haven't had much sleep since Annapolis :-) But based upon what I've seen and heard out on the water the past 2 days, I'm inclined to give some of these rally participants the benefit of the doubt, some of these recent weather features have been highly localized, variable, and intense...

btw, for those that haven't had the pleasure, a CR 42 on a broad reach in 30 knots of November breeze, it's like sailing a freight train, what a sweet ride... :-) We had the Bay mostly to ourselves yesterday, though we did pass one catamaran north of Cove Point who was motoring in those conditions, hugging the western shore, and flying no sail whatsoever...

Some people should just be shot... :-)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 11-09-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook