SailNet Community - View Single Post - Handheld GPS differences
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Handheld GPS differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
For me a big difference is the resolution.
The Oregon is 240 x 400
The GPS Map 78SC is 160 x240
When I bought my Oregon 4 years ago the resolution was a big concern for me. The difference between Oregon and the 76/78 handhelds is huge, and to this day I don't know why so many people select 76/78 over it.

Whichever you buy, the most economical way to mount it (if you have a pedestal guard) is this:

Amazon.com: Garmin 010-11023-00 Colorado/Oregon Series Bike Mount: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Garmin 010-11023-00 Colorado/Oregon Series Bike Mount: GPS & Navigation

In addition to the one I have on my pedestal guard, I have an extra one that I take on charters with me. At the end of the week, I just cut the straps and bring it home.

Since the Garmin handhelds do not float, it's important to mount them, especially if you have an open transom.

In dry weather, I use OpenCPN in the cockpit. I run two instances of the program on my Netbook. One window is zoomed in for detail, the other one is zoomed out for big picture and AIS targets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 11-10-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook