SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

I am just catching up on this thread so bare with me. I have been here in Georgia shaking-down my new boat. I am not sure what was reported here on the real weather that was out there has beed accurate. When I first heard of the news I pulled the Navy Weather Ocean data. Seas were 25 feet or greater and gale force winds 40-50 knots. Down south here in GA we had 40 knots winds and seas 15-20' just off the coast. Needless to say we did not go out. We did go out yesterday for Shakedown #2 in 20-30 knot winds and 5-7 foot seas 3 sec spacing. The seas are a mess still but getting better. The new boat and crew did great in our practice run out there. Having sailed at 5-6 knots my whole life and now sailing with a longer waterline and sailing 8-9.7 knots it is a whole new world out there. We were very comfortable when I figured out which boat speed is best for sea conditions.
Bottom line, is if any boats were in the Gulf Stream in that kind of weather, boats will break without good seamanship, crews will get sick and injuries will happen. I just hope those that are Monday Night Armchair Sailing have been out in these kinds of seas and winds. I suspect NOT for most here.
Another thought I have is the number #1 thread here on SailNet and others is "Can I sail in the ocean in a Cheap ( hopefully free), 20-30 something Old boat that needs $$$ to fix up, but I will do the work myself, with no experience". While this may not pertain to the Salty Dog Rally participates, one wonders of the experience, boat maintenance, and other factors involved here. Lets learn from this Rally, find out what works and what didn't. Let have a discussion based on facts not Armchair Sailing.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 11-10-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook