SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

"A pan Pan is used to signify that there is an urgency on board a boat, ship, aircraft, or other vehicle but that, for the time being at least, there is no immediate danger to anyone's life or to the vessel itself.
This is referred to as a state of urgency.
This is distinct from a Mayday call, which means that there is imminent danger to life or to the continued viability of the vessel itself"

A sailboat loses the auxiliary engine and a Mayday is issued.

Another one issues a Mayday because had lost the engine and the Genoa.

Another issues a Mayday, two C 130 are deployed and find nothing in the Area. Another sailboat says to them that there is no problem with the boat that deployed the Epirb.

Another issues a Mayday because the boat had lost the mast and is taking water. When the c 130 arrives there a crew member says that everything is alright. No Injuries and they are motoring to port.

Another issues a Mayday because they were sick and the boat was making water. A C 130 is deployed plus an helicopter that rescues 4 that are seasick. When arriving they refuse medical treatment. There are notices (that need confirmation) that the boat is afloat. Let's wait some days to see if the boat is salvaged. The crew did not report any malfunction with the boat besides the boat "taking water".

At first I thought that the definition regarding a mayday was different in Europe and in the States, but apparently it is not. I can only conclude that many Maydays are been issued in situations that call for a Pan Pan and never for a Mayday.

By the content of this thread It also seems to me that many of the "real" sailors on sailnet don't know in what conditions a Mayday can or should be issued.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-10-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook