SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
You know me, Chall. I don't mind the disagreement at all.

Who sets the standard? ISAF is a great start. It's really pretty simple. And just like a race, it IS still up to the skipper, but the organizers - just like in a race - do some level of verification that the boats/skippers/crews are in compliance (spot checks, whatever...).

IF this "racing-level" standard of safety was an approach that rally organizers adopted - rallies would be invaluable in that they would become a great way to up the game of all participating cruisers.

As it is, it's essentially a sponsored crapshoot.

Again, my argument is putting absolutely nothing on you as an individual. My argument is putting the onus on the organizers of sponsored rallies. Period.
Starting with ISAF for safety is great. That is where I started when I set our boat up safety wise, but not where I finished

Your argument is putting something on me as an individual if I wish to participate in a rally - Incidentally most rallies are doing what you suggest in one form or another, all I am sure will follow soon.
ARC entry fees currently are based on length but you will drop about a cool 2-3K in fees. That guy who will come on your boat with his ISAF clipboard and declare you BFS safe isn't free you know ( nor will he be there with you in the liferaft).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by chall03; 11-10-2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook