SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Smack, the deployment of an Epirp is a Mayday. A DSC emergency call is a Mayday.

CG would not have sent airplanes in a SAR operation if maydays have not been deployed.

The two cases that I had refereed about Maydays been deployed basically because a sailboat had lost the engine had not to do with this rally but were two recent cases, these ones:

Regards

Paulo
I understand that. The Spot SOS was apparently treated as a Mayday as well - which makes sense (though I don't know what actual CG procedure is on Spot calls).

My point is that radio contact would have been established between the CG and the boat(s) if possible. From there a discussion would have occurred as to the nature of the emergency. I just wonder at what point in that discussion the Mayday became a Pan-Pan? No way to know of course - but it would be an interesting transcript.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook