SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Less rallies because its a PITA to have a higher standard of safety? C'mon dude. If that's the case, then so be it.
Higher standard of safety???? I call BS on that. Again your equalling safety with regulation.

I just do not accept that to be the case. Nor do I accept that it has made racing inherently safer. Nor do I see rallies like this as being the same as an organised yacht race.

Incidentally I can introduce you to circumnavigators who have not done any of the training( letting flares off and sitting in a liferaft in a pool with your mates come on) and who have boats that would fail CAT 1 ( probably because their bosun's chair was made in the wrong year), and they would be out there sailing their boats home long before many an 'offshore' racing boat has cried for mummy.

The rally in question is essentially free, based on likeminded cruising boats grouping together largely socially as best as I can make out. Not your cup of tea? Thats fine. But let's not make them suffer ISAF regs.

The onus of safety though is and should remain solely on the skipper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook