SailNet Community - View Single Post - Things lost in the water
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013

jslade8581 is on a distinguished road
Re: Things lost in the water

Not my loss, but my dad's - after he ran us aground in the St. John's River, he decided to jump in to push us off whilst my brother and I were wrestling with the stuck roller furling jib (when it rains it pours). Forgot to take his cell phone and wallet out of his pocket first (recovered, but the cell phone was dead and done). We ended up needing Sea Tow to help us off (I didn't want us to dry out before the next high tide).

Another was a captain with a sailing school I did in South Florida. He was on his cell phone while we were at anchor, and then he dropped it (its safe to say that the vodka and whiskey may have been a culprit). We heard it bounce about in the cockpit, but we couldn't find it. We realized it must have just slipped into the water. It was pitch-black, and one of the other students decided to overcome his fear of sharks by jumping over and searching for it. Incredibly, he found it with an underwater flashlight after three dives. We put the phone in rice, and the camera's memory was saved.

"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears or the sea."
- Isak Dinesen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook