SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
I hate to opine as I see as bad karma on such things as you never know, it can and will happen to us in the future but

there was a pic posted last page or 2 back of what seems to be an island packet 30 something or 40 something with no damage whatsoever other than a wrapped furler(which happens a lot if one is not careful) and part of the reason I ony use hank on sails.

can somebody explain to me if this boat issued a mayday or not? or was it just a pic from a passing plane?
Yes.

The picture relates with what is immediately above on that post:

"ST PETERSBURG, FL -
The Coast Guard rescued three stranded sailors who were trapped 80 miles west of Tampa.

On Monday afternoon, the sailing boat ‘Grateful' was making its way from Louisiana to Cape Coral. The three-man crew was delivering it to its owner when things went horribly wrong.

"It was nerve wracking," said sailor Brian Burke. "By Monday morning, we had lost our engines, blown out a sail, and by that time we were adrift."

The crew sent out a distress signal.

"Within about an hour and 45 minutes we had a helicopter overhead, he was communicating with us," said sailor Craig Toomey.

Soon after, the Coast Guard Cutter 'Nantucket' was sent to the rescue.

"[The water] was pretty bad," Captain Ryan Waitt said. "The biggest issue was the seas were building, we saw about 6 to 8 feet."

"It was a little dicey, and a little uncomfortable and not something I wanna do again anytime soon," said Cleve Fair, another sailor on board....Currently, the ‘Grateful' is still disabled and stranded at sea....Despite this obvious mishap, these men still plan to finish the job they started, and deliver the boat to Cape Coral.

Coast Guard rescues 3 boaters 80 miles west of Tampa - WFLA News Channel 8"

However this happened at Nov 05, 2013 and not in this rally.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook