SailNet Community - View Single Post - Underwater Drone
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 11-11-2013
Re: Underwater Drone

Drone "toys" are not cheap but they are a magnitude more affordable than the non-toy versions. I got in on the AR Drone "toy" bandwagon a bit early*. It's dropped to less than half price in that time whilst actually having been improved (higher quality video, better altitude sensors, longer range, etc). I expect that the "toy" will drop in price as well like the AR Drone, smart phones, and the like. I also expect the price will hit a floor at around ⅓ to the current price. There is only so much cheaper you can source the components & build something before you kill the qualities that make it desirable in the first place.

That said, I reckon I might look into one of these in the coming years. My wife has (mild) asthma & a fear of confined spaces, making diving an issue for her. It would be kind of cool to "have her along" when I go under. Though, if I wait too long, I'll lose my excuse it's "for the kids"... which was the excuse for my other drone

* Back in 2011, but seriously, as much as folks like to talk about it as a toy, it really isn't much different from "work" drones. Parrot sells it as a toy because that's how you get people to people buy it in numbers, but it's not huge step down from other entry model work drones in regards to design & functionality. You only need minor modifications make it very interesting for computer nerds such as myself
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome