SailNet Community - View Single Post - Near disasterous first sail
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-11-2013 Thread Starter
Near disasterous first sail

I purchased an old/used 20 footer (Southwest Explorer) about 6 weeks ago, having never sailed anything more complicated than a Sunfish. Between my work schedule and crappy weather, I finally took her out this past weekend. It was NOT PRETTY! First, after struggling to raise the mast by myself, I realized a sizeable limb from gum-ball tree was hanging about 25 feet over the boat ramp ...just low enough that my mast couldnt pass under it. So I had to unhook the trailer from my truck, drive home, get a ladder and chain saw, return and cut down the limb. I should have realized that this was an omen.

While I understood the mechanics of raising the sail, I struggled to get it done with the boat floating in open water. Rather than point IN to the wind, as soon as I turned the motor off, it immediately turned stern to the wind. So I fired the engine back up and got my wife to tend the tiller while I attempted the mainsail. Is there supposed to be some device/method to keep the sail slugs above the slot where they enter the mast without raising the sail? The sail was flapping in the wind as I worked feverishly to insert each slug. But I got it done.

Speaking of the wind, I guess I need to say that I greatly underestimated the force of "20 MPH Gusts". ...which the weatherman nonchalantly added as an addendum to his report of 10-15 MPH westerly winds.

As soon as I had the sail up, one of those gusts caught me offguard, snapped off a couple of the sail slugs on the stern end of the boom and nearly capsized us. Did I mention that I forgot to lower the swing keel before raising the sail?! (I put that on my mental check list for next time)
...and that my halyard magically got tangled in a knot and wouldnt pass thru the block to let out the sail.

My wife says she'll ever go out with me again.!! I guess it ended up being a good trip afterall!
Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Lemonshirt For This Useful Post:
PaddyMac (04-20-2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome